- The Zone Diet was developed by Dr. Barry Sears more than 30 years ago to reduce diet-induced inflammation. Learn how healthy it is, and whether it's effective.
Zone Diet: At a Glance
It is with good cause that the initial publication on this diet was titled ‘Entering the Zone.’ Adopting this diet program is intended to be a complete transformation in lifestyle, mentally and physically as well as the diet.
The Zone meal plan was established by Dr. Barry Sears. Following the original popularity of his initial best seller, He expanded this ‘lifestyle’ with more books and manuals, creating meal substitute products and appearing on numerous TV programs.
Originally, The Zone diet had a cult following with stars like Jennifer Aniston, which garnered popularity for the program with dieters looking for a change.
The official Zone site is quite instructive but frequently baffling, with excessive features. A lot of focus is on the food component of the diet, yet visitors must sign up with the website to see any Zone plan recipes.
The exercise section of the site is just as satisfactory, with articles on topics of wellness and exercise.
Among the primary features of the website is the product segment offering descriptions and ordering info for Zone’s line of foods.
Along with the food items, the site additionally markets health products and, naturally, the line of Zone books.
The Zone Diet: Facts
In spite of the complex site, the concepts underlying The Zone diet are uncomplicated. All meals ought to include 1/3 low-fat protein and 2/3 vegetables.
A minimal quantity of beneficial fat is permitted with every meal as well. The website offers instances of the kinds of foods permitted like reduced glycemic carbohydrates, fruits and veggies, reduced-fat proteins and healthy fats, as well as providing menus, recipes and advice for Zone meal prep.
The principle underlying The Zone is that this kind of diet with regular exercise retards aging because it is anti-inflammatory, a leading cause of disease.
A lot of the site’s features are offered at no cost, like the meal planner, group forums, newsletters, and body fat calculating system.
The first ‘Enter the Zone’ publication is priced at $17.50, but probably it can be purchased for less by an independent distributor. Zone food items can be prohibitively priced, with a package of 14 bars costing $35.95, for instance.
- The Zone program possesses a kind of star status.
- The protein/vegetable diet program is nutritionally balanced.
- The outcomes of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant meal plans are scientifically demonstrated.
- The Zone diet promotes a balanced workout regimen of a half hour, 6 times weekly.
- The website provides complimentary access to internet implements and support groups online.
- The meal plan regulates appetite by achieving hormonal balance.
- The official site exhibits the fundamental concepts simply with the depiction of Zone’s pyramid, borrowing from the food pyramid concept.
- Zone diet menu items can be prohibitively priced.
- You can only gain access to the recipes by registering.
- Zone meals need to be consumed at specified times during the day.
- Probably any weight reduction is the result of decreased calorie consumption and not ‘balancing’ hormones as asserted.
Alternative Diet Plans
- The DASH Diet
- Mayo Clinic’s Weight Loss Plan
- The Paleo Diet
- You On A Diet
- Weight Watchers
- No-Fad Diet
- Fat Smash Diet
- The Lemonade Diet
While in concept it resembles the Perricone Diet as far as the anti-inflammatory principle, the Zone has gained much greater popularity and use.
Although the site and the creator, Barry Sears, promote users adopting a complete Zone lifestyle, dieters would do well simply to adhere to the diet advice and meal plans depicted on the website to get the same outcome.
What's Your Reaction?
Meghan is a registered dietitian nutritionist in private practice in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Her areas of expertise include functional nutrition and digestive health.