Martha’s Vineyard Diet Overview
The Martha’s Vineyard Diet is a liquid fast that promises to help the user lose 21lbs in 21 days. The diet book is an offshoot of the Martha’s Vineyard Retreat, an inn founded by Dr. Roni DeLuz in 1997.
The Martha’s Vineyard official website is very basic and extremely easy to navigate. The site covers information about the actual retreat and the book, has a good FAQ section, customer testimonials and product ordering form. The site does not sell the book, although it does have a link to the Amazon website where the book can be purchased for $24.95.
The site features some background information on Dr. DeLuz plus a link to ‘Martha’s Vineyard Detox TV, which is actually shown via YouTube.
Martha’s Vineyard Diet – Product Description
The Martha’s Vineyard Detox Diet consists of consuming juices, shakes and soups supplemented with digestive enzymes. The plan is available in weekend, weekly or 21 day programs, although the ‘21lbs in 21 days’ plan seems to be the most popular.
The website provides some basic information regarding the plan including the daily eating schedule. The schedule requires the dieter to follow a strict regime of consuming not only the plan’s purchased shakes, vegetable drinks and berry drinks, but also to prepare their own juices and soups (it should be noted that a juicer is essential for this diet). ‘Meals’ are eaten every couple of hours to avoid any drops in blood glucose levels and to keep the metabolism working at a steady rate.
The 21 day detox products are available to purchase from the website. The package contains enough products to cover the span of the diet, including the berry drink, vegetable drink, green drink, inner cleanse and shakes. It also includes the protein packs required for the maintenance phase of the diet. Consumers have limited choice in flavours, but are able to choose between the chocolate and vanilla shake, apple and banana or very berry juice, and zesty tomato or apple and carrot veggie drink. The cost for the 21 day plan is $199.00 although the book needs to be purchased separately.
Martha’s Vineyard Diet Advantage
- The diet can help the user ‘jump start’ their weight loss
- The diet provides ready made shakes and drinks for convenience
- The website features a good testimonial section that includes some before/ after photos
- The diet is designed to maintain blood glucose levels and metabolism
- The diet can be followed for various lengths of time depending on the individual’s needs
- The website is informative and well laid out
Martha’s Vineyard Diet – Drawbacks
- The Martha’s Vineyard Diet book is not included in the purchased plan
- Independent consumers have complained about the bad taste of the drinks and shakes
- The website provides no information regarding the need for regular exercise
- The daily schedule would be inconvenient and impossible for most people to follow correctly
- The diet is expensive and requires the added purchase of preferably organic ingredients and digestive enzymes
- It is not professionally recommended to lose 21lbs in such a short time period
- The diet can produce unpleasant side effects such as acne, rashes, headaches and nausea
- Independent consumers have reported difficulty with contacting the company after purchasing the product
Martha’s Vineyard Diet – The Bottom Line
The Martha’s Vineyard Diet would not be suitable for most people to follow because it is so time consuming, requiring the preparation of homemade soups and juices and a very strict eating schedule. It would certainly be impossible for anyone with a busy family life, and probably would not be recommended anyway, due to the negative effects of detoxification and the fact that it does nothing to educate the user in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.